- Basic Guidelines
- General Terms and Conditions
- Intellectual Property Rights; User-Generated Content
- Digital Millennium Copyright Act Notice
- Disclaimer of Warranties
- Limitation of Liability; Waiver
- Time Limitation on Claims
- Governing Law & Venue
- Additional Terms
- Territorial Restrictions
Effective Date: June 1, 2017.
ARBITRATION NOTICE: EXCEPT IF YOU OPT-OUT AND EXCEPT FOR CERTAIN TYPES OF DISPUTES DESCRIBED IN THE ARBITRATION SECTION BELOW, YOU AGREE THAT DISPUTES BETWEEN YOU AND BEAM WILL BE RESOLVED BY BINDING, INDIVIDUAL ARBITRATION AND YOU WAIVE YOUR RIGHT TO PARTICIPATE IN A CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT OR CLASS-WIDE ARBITRATION.
- You must be at least 13 years old to use the Service. If you are at least 13 years of age, but under the age of 18, you may only use the Service with the consent of your parent or legal guardian.
- You may not post violent, nude, partially nude, indecent, discriminatory, unlawful, infringing, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, libelous, hateful, pornographic or sexually suggestive photos or other content via the Service.
- You are responsible for any activity that occurs through your account and you agree you will not sell, transfer, license or assign your account, followers, username, or any account rights. With the exception of people or businesses that are expressly authorized to create accounts on behalf of their employers or clients, BEAM prohibits the creation of and you agree that you will not create an account for anyone other than yourself. You also represent that all information you provide or provided to BEAM upon registration and at all other times will be true, accurate, current and complete and you agree to update your information as necessary to maintain its truth and accuracy.
- You agree that you will not solicit, collect or use the login credentials of other BEAM users.
- You are responsible for keeping your password secret and secure.
- You must not defame, stalk, bully, abuse, harass, threaten, impersonate or intimidate people or entities and you must not publicly post private or confidential information via the Service relating to you or any third party.
- You may not use the Service for any illegal or unauthorized purpose. You agree to comply with all laws, rules and regulations (for example, federal, state, local and provincial) applicable to your use of the Service and your submission, posting, and display of any Content (defined below), including but not limited to, copyright laws.
- You are solely responsible for your conduct and any Content that you submit, post or display on or via the Service.
- You must not change, modify, adapt or alter the Service or change, modify or alter another website so as to falsely imply that it is associated with the Service or BEAM.
- You must not create or submit unwanted or duplicative email, comments, likes or other forms of commercial or harassing communications (a/k/a "spam") to any BEAM users.
- You must not use domain names or web URLs in your username without prior written consent from BEAM.
- You must not interfere or disrupt the Service or servers or networks connected to the Service, including by transmitting any worms, viruses, spyware, malware or any other code of a destructive or disruptive nature. You may not inject content or code or otherwise alter or interfere with the way any BEAM image, content, or page is rendered or displayed in a user's browser or device.
- You must not create accounts with the Service through unauthorized means, including but not limited to, by using an automated device, script, bot, spider, crawler or scraper.
General Terms and Conditions
- We reserve the right to modify or terminate the Service or your access to the Service for any reason, without notice, at any time, and without liability to you. You can deactivate your BEAM account by logging into the Service and de-activating your account in your profile settings. If we terminate your access to the Service or you use the form detailed above to deactivate your account, your Content, comments, likes, friendships, and all other data will no longer be accessible through your account (e.g., users will not be able to navigate to your username and view your posts), but those materials and data may persist and appear within the Service (e.g., if your Content has been reshared by others).
- You are solely responsible for your interaction with other users of the Service, whether online or offline. You agree that BEAM is not responsible or liable for the conduct of any user. BEAM reserves the right, but has no obligation, to monitor or become involved in disputes between you and other users. Exercise common sense and your best judgment when interacting with others, including when you submit or post Content or any personal or other information.
- There may be links from the Service, or from communications you receive from the Service, to third-party web sites or features. There may also be links to third-party web sites or features in images or comments within the Service. The Service also includes third-party content that we do not control, maintain or endorse. Functionality on the Service may also permit interactions between the Service and a third-party web site or feature, including applications that connect the Service or your profile on the Service with a third-party web site or feature. For example, the Service may include a feature that enables you to share Content from the Service or your Content with a third party, which may be publicly posted on that third party's service or application. Using this functionality typically requires you to login to your account on the third-party service and you do so at your own risk. BEAM does not control any of these third-party web services or any of their content. You expressly acknowledge and agree that BEAM is in no way responsible or liable for any such third-party services or features. YOUR CORRESPONDENCE AND BUSINESS DEALINGS WITH THIRD PARTIES FOUND THROUGH THE SERVICE ARE SOLELY BETWEEN YOU AND THE THIRD PARTY. You may choose, at your sole and absolute discretion and risk, to use applications that connect the Service or your profile on the Service with a third-party service (each, an "Application") and such Application may interact with, connect to or gather and/or pull information from and to your Service profile. By using such Applications, you acknowledge and agree to the following: (i) if you use an Application to share information, you are consenting to information about your profile on the Service being shared; (ii) your use of an Application may cause personally identifying information to be publicly disclosed and/or associated with you, even if BEAM has not itself provided such information; and (iii) your use of an Application is at your own option and risk, and you will hold the BEAM Parties (defined below) harmless for activity related to the Application.
- You agree that you are responsible for all data charges you incur through use of the Service.
- We prohibit crawling, scraping, caching or otherwise accessing any Content on the Service via automated means, including but not limited to, user profiles and photos (except as may be the result of standard search engine protocols or technologies used by a search engine with BEAM's express consent).
Intellectual Property Rights; User-Generated Content
- BEAM owns the Service and BEAM owns, licenses, or uses with permission all registered and unregistered trademarks, service marks, logos, wallpaper, icons, characters, software, information, pictures, photographs, designs, graphics, artwork, images, audio and video clips, music, sound, text, data, and other content or materials made available through the Service ("Content"), as well as the arrangement and selection of the Content. Your unauthorized use of any Content may violate copyright, trademark, patent, privacy, or other U.S. and/or international laws, and may infringe upon the rights of BEAM or third parties not owned by or affiliated with us. As between you and BEAM, BEAM owns and retains all rights in the Content and the Service; provided, however, that BEAM does not claim ownership of any Content that you post on or through the Service. Instead, you hereby grant to BEAM a non-exclusive, fully paid and royalty-free, transferable, sub-licensable, worldwide license to use the Content that you post on or through the Service. You can control how any Content you post is shared with other users through your BEAM account settings. Your participation in the interactive features of the Service constitutes your consent to the sharing and use of any Content you submit.
- You are granted a limited, non-exclusive, non-sublicensable, revocable right to access and use the Service and Content for your own personal, non-commercial use; provided, however, that you may not remove, alter or conceal any copyright, trademark, service mark or other proprietary rights notices incorporated in or accompanying the Content and, except with regard to any Content that you own, you may not otherwise reproduce, modify, adapt, prepare derivative works based on, perform, display, publish, distribute, transmit, broadcast, sell, license or otherwise exploit the Content.
- Although it is BEAM's intention for the Service to be available as much as possible, there will be occasions when the Service may be interrupted, including, without limitation, for scheduled maintenance or upgrades, for emergency repairs, or due to failure of telecommunications links and/or equipment. Also, BEAM reserves the right to remove any Content from the Service for any reason, without prior notice. Content removed from the Service may continue to be stored by BEAM, including, without limitation, in order to comply with certain legal obligations, but may not be retrievable without a valid court order. Consequently, BEAM encourages you to maintain your own backup of your Content. In other words, BEAM is not a backup service and you agree that you will not rely on the Service for the purposes of Content backup or storage. BEAM will not be liable to you for any modification, suspension, or discontinuation of the Services, or the loss of any Content. You also acknowledge that the Internet may be subject to breaches of security and that the submission of Content or other information may not be secure.
- You agree that BEAM is not responsible for, and does not endorse or guarantee the completeness, truthfulness, accuracy, or reliability of any Content posted, transmitted, or otherwise made available or shared through the Service by any users or rebroadcast, republished, or otherwise shared elsewhere (“User Content”), and BEAM does not endorse any opinions expresses by any User Content. All User Content, whether publicly posted or privately transmitted, is the sole responsibility of the person who shared such Content. Any use or reliance on any User Content is at your own risk, including without limitation risk of faulty information or damage, injury, or loss relating directly or indirectly to defective files or data downloaded via the Service. Under no circumstances will BEAM be liable in any way for any User Content, including, but not limited to, any errors or omissions in any User Content, or any loss or damage of any kind incurred as a result of the use of any User Content.
- Any Content you submit will be non-confidential and non-proprietary and we will not be liable for any use or disclosure of Content. We may post, display, reproduce, broadcast or otherwise use your Content for any purpose, commercial or non-commercial, and in any media without any compensation, payment or obligation to you. You acknowledge and agree that your relationship with BEAM is not a confidential, fiduciary, or other type of special relationship, and that your decision to submit any Content does not place BEAM in a position that is any different from the position held by members of the general public, including with regard to your Content.
- It is BEAM's policy not to accept or consider content, information, ideas, suggestions or other materials other than those we have specifically requested and to which certain specific terms, conditions and requirements may apply. This is to avoid any misunderstandings if your ideas are similar to those we have developed or are developing independently. Accordingly, BEAM does not accept unsolicited materials or ideas, and takes no responsibility for any materials or ideas so transmitted. If, despite our policy, you choose to send us content, information, ideas, suggestions, or other materials, you further agree that BEAM is free to use any such content, information, ideas, suggestions or other materials, for any purposes whatsoever, including, without limitation, developing and marketing products and services, without any liability or payment of any kind to you.
Digital Millennium Copyright Act Notice
If you believe that your copyrights in a work have been infringed by a third party, such as by improper posting or distribution via the Service, then you can send us a notice of alleged copyright infringement and we will respond appropriately. The notice must comply with the U.S. Digital Millennium Copyright Act (“DMCA”) and include all of the following information:
- A legend or subject line “DMCA Copyright Infringement Notice”;
- A description of the copyrighted work that you believe has been infringed;
- The URL of the site and a description of where the allegedly infringing material is located;
- Your address, telephone number, and e-mail address;
- A statement that you have a good faith belief that the alleged infringing material is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law;
- A statement by you, made under penalty of perjury, that all the information in your notice is accurate, and that you are the copyright owner (or, if you are not the copyright owner, that you are authorized to act on the behalf of the owner of an exclusive right that is allegedly infringed); and
- Your electronic or physical signature.
You may send DMCA notices by e-mail to: firstname.lastname@example.org. We reserve the right to respond to DMCA notices that do not comply with any of these requirements in our discretion.
Disclaimer of Warranties
THE SERVICE, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, ALL CONTENT, IS PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS", "AS AVAILABLE" AND "WITH ALL FAULTS" BASIS. TO THE FULLEST EXTENT PERMISSIBLE BY LAW, NEITHER BEAM NOR ITS PARENT COMPANY OR LICENSORS NOR ANY OF THEIR EMPLOYEES, MANAGERS, OFFICERS OR AGENTS (COLLECTIVELY, THE "BEAM PARTIES") MAKE ANY REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES OR ENDORSEMENTS OF ANY KIND WHATSOEVER, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, AS TO: (A) THE SERVICE; (B) ANY CONTENT; OR (C) SECURITY ASSOCIATED WITH THE TRANSMISSION OF INFORMATION TO BEAM OR VIA THE SERVICE. IN ADDITION, THE BEAM PARTIES HEREBY DISCLAIM ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, NON-INFRINGEMENT, TITLE, CUSTOM, TRADE, QUIET ENJOYMENT, SYSTEM INTEGRATION AND FREEDOM FROM COMPUTER VIRUS.
BY ACCESSING OR USING THE SERVICE YOU REPRESENT AND WARRANT THAT YOUR ACTIVITIES ARE LAWFUL IN EVERY JURISDICTION WHERE YOU ACCESS OR USE THE SERVICE.
THE BEAM PARTIES SPECIFICALLY DISCLAIM ANY RESPONSIBILITY OR LIABILITY TO ANY PERSON OR ENTITY FOR ANY LOSS, DAMAGE (WHETHER ACTUAL, CONSEQUENTIAL, PUNITIVE OR OTHERWISE), INJURY, CLAIM, LIABILITY OR OTHER CAUSE OF ANY KIND OR CHARACTER BASED UPON OR RESULTING FROM YOUR USE OF THE SERVICE OR ANY CONTENT.
Limitation of Liability; Waiver
UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES WILL THE BEAM PARTIES BE LIABLE TO YOU FOR ANY LOSS OR DAMAGES OF ANY KIND (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, FOR ANY DIRECT, INDIRECT, ECONOMIC, EXEMPLARY, SPECIAL, PUNITIVE, INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL LOSSES OR DAMAGES) THAT ARE DIRECTLY OR INDIRECTLY RELATED TO: (A) THE SERVICE; (B) THE CONTENT; (C) YOUR USE OF, INABILITY TO USE, OR THE PERFORMANCE OF THE SERVICE; (E) ANY ACTION TAKEN IN CONNECTION WITH AN INVESTIGATION BY THE BEAM PARTIES OR LAW ENFORCEMENT AUTHORITIES REGARDING YOUR OR ANY OTHER PARTY'S USE OF THE SERVICE; (F) ANY ACTION TAKEN IN CONNECTION WITH COPYRIGHT OR OTHER INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY OWNERS; (G) ANY ERRORS OR OMISSIONS IN THE SERVICE'S OPERATION; OR (H) ANY DAMAGE TO ANY USER'S COMPUTER, MOBILE DEVICE, OR OTHER EQUIPMENT OR TECHNOLOGY INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGE FROM ANY SECURITY BREACH OR FROM ANY VIRUS, BUGS, TAMPERING, FRAUD, ERROR, OMISSION, INTERRUPTION, DEFECT, DELAY IN OPERATION OR TRANSMISSION, COMPUTER LINE OR NETWORK FAILURE OR ANY OTHER TECHNICAL OR OTHER MALFUNCTION, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOST PROFITS, LOSS OF GOODWILL, LOSS OF DATA, WORK STOPPAGE, ACCURACY OF RESULTS, OR COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, EVEN IF FORESEEABLE OR EVEN IF THE BEAM PARTIES HAVE BEEN ADVISED OF OR SHOULD HAVE KNOWN OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES, WHETHER IN AN ACTION OF CONTRACT, NEGLIGENCE, STRICT LIABILITY OR TORT (INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, WHETHER CAUSED IN WHOLE OR IN PART BY NEGLIGENCE, ACTS OF GOD, TELECOMMUNICATIONS FAILURE, OR THEFT OR DESTRUCTION OF THE SERVICE). IN NO EVENT WILL THE BEAM PARTIES BE LIABLE TO YOU OR ANYONE ELSE FOR LOSS, DAMAGE OR INJURY, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, DEATH OR PERSONAL INJURY. SOME STATES DO NOT ALLOW THE EXCLUSION OR LIMITATION OF INCIDENTAL OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES, SO THE ABOVE LIMITATION OR EXCLUSION MAY NOT APPLY TO YOU. IN NO EVENT WILL THE BEAM PARTIES TOTAL LIABILITY TO YOU FOR ALL DAMAGES, LOSSES OR CAUSES OR ACTION EXCEED ONE HUNDRED UNITED STATES DOLLARS ($100.00).
YOU AGREE THAT IN THE EVENT YOU INCUR ANY DAMAGES, LOSSES OR INJURIES THAT ARISE OUT OF BEAM'S ACTS OR OMISSIONS, THE DAMAGES, IF ANY, CAUSED TO YOU ARE NOT IRREPARABLE OR SUFFICIENT TO ENTITLE YOU TO AN INJUNCTION PREVENTING ANY EXPLOITATION OF ANY WEB SITE, SERVICE, PROPERTY, PRODUCT OR OTHER CONTENT OWNED OR CONTROLLED BY THE BEAM PARTIES, AND YOU WILL HAVE NO RIGHTS TO ENJOIN OR RESTRAIN THE DEVELOPMENT, PRODUCTION, DISTRIBUTION, ADVERTISING, EXHIBITION OR EXPLOITATION OF ANY WEB SITE, PROPERTY, PRODUCT, SERVICE, OR OTHER CONTENT OWNED OR CONTROLLED BY THE BEAM PARTIES.
BY ACCESSING THE SERVICE, YOU UNDERSTAND THAT YOU MAY BE WAIVING RIGHTS WITH RESPECT TO CLAIMS THAT ARE AT THIS TIME UNKNOWN OR UNSUSPECTED, AND IN ACCORDANCE WITH SUCH WAIVER, YOU ACKNOWLEDGE THAT YOU HAVE READ AND UNDERSTAND, AND HEREBY EXPRESSLY WAIVE, THE BENEFITS OF SECTION 1542 OF THE CIVIL CODE OF CALIFORNIA, AND ANY SIMILAR LAW OF ANY STATE OR TERRITORY, WHICH PROVIDES AS FOLLOWS: "A GENERAL RELEASE DOES NOT EXTEND TO CLAIMS WHICH THE CREDITOR DOES NOT KNOW OR SUSPECT TO EXIST IN HIS FAVOR AT THE TIME OF EXECUTING THE RELEASE, WHICH IF KNOWN BY HIM MUST HAVE MATERIALLY AFFECTED HIS SETTLEMENT WITH THE DEBTOR."
BEAM IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE ACTIONS, CONTENT, INFORMATION, OR DATA OF THIRD PARTIES, AND YOU RELEASE US, OUR DIRECTORS, OFFICERS, EMPLOYEES, AND AGENTS FROM ANY CLAIMS AND DAMAGES, KNOWN AND UNKNOWN, ARISING OUT OF OR IN ANY WAY CONNECTED WITH ANY CLAIM YOU HAVE AGAINST ANY SUCH THIRD PARTIES.
You may opt out of this agreement to arbitrate. If you do so, neither you nor BEAM can require the other to participate in an arbitration proceeding. To opt out, you must notify BEAM in writing within 30 days of the date that you first became subject to this arbitration provision. You must use this address to opt out:
BEAM, LLC ATTN: Arbitration Opt-out 1601 Willow Rd. Menlo Park, CA 94025
You must include your name and residence address, the email address you use for your BEAM account, and a clear statement that you want to opt out of this arbitration agreement.
If the prohibition against class actions and other claims brought on behalf of third parties contained above is found to be unenforceable, then all of the preceding language in this Arbitration section will be null and void. This arbitration agreement will survive the termination of your relationship with BEAM.
Time Limitation on Claims
You agree that any claim you may have arising out of or related to your relationship with BEAM must be filed within one year after such claim arose; otherwise, your claim is permanently barred.
Governing Law & Venue
BEAM reserves the right to change this dispute resolution provision, but any such changes will not apply to disputes arising before the effective date of the amendment. This dispute resolution provision will survive the termination of any or all of your transactions with BEAM.
The information provided within the Service is not intended for distribution to or use by any person or entity in any jurisdiction or country where such distribution or use would be contrary to law or regulation or which would subject BEAM to any registration requirement within such jurisdiction or country. We reserve the right to limit the availability of the Service or any portion of the Service, to any person, geographic area, or jurisdiction, at any time and in our sole discretion, and to limit the quantities of any content, program, product, service or other feature that BEAM provides.
Software related to or made available by the Service may be subject to United States export controls. Thus, no software from the Service may be downloaded, exported or re-exported: (a) into (or to a national or resident of) any country to which the United States has embargoed goods; or (b) to anyone on the U.S. Treasury Department's list of Specially Designated Nationals or the U.S. Commerce Department's Table of Deny Orders. By downloading any software related to the Service, you represent and warrant that you are not located in, under the control of, or a national or resident of, any such country or on any such list.